FINDING CHRIST IN THE BOOKS OF HISTORY
THE BOOKS OF HISTORY ARE FOUNDATIONAL TO THE BIBLE
Today, may I impress upon your heart that the book you hold in your hands is unlike any other in the Universe? And with that truth deeply upon our hearts, in the days ahead, shouldn’t we treat it differently, read it diligently, wait before it expectantly and from it learn to live triumphantly? There are three reasons why I believe the Bible is truly like no other book anywhere: Because The Bible is Unique; Because The Bible is Powerful; Because The Bible is Divine. Today we are going to examine these three components of the Bible’s Character, that make the Bible so precious.
I. THE SCRIPTURES ARE CHRIST CENTERED
A. JESUS SHINES FROM EVERY BOOK OF THE BIBLE. Each reveals some truths about our beautiful Lord Jesus. And, there is one that has as its theme and central purpose to unveil and reveal JESUS CHRIST THE LORD. To see the central theme of Christ in all the Scriptures look at these verses: Revelation 19:10, John 5:39 and Luke 24:27.
B. CHRIST IS SEEN IN THE BOOKS OF HISTORY:
1. In GENESIS He is Creating the Universe. The Scriptures are the only reliable source of information on the origin and purpose of: universe, man, sin, nations, covenant and curse. Key Word = GENERATIONS [used 10x in book as outline].
2. In EXODUS He is Delivering His People. He is the Way out: of Egypt, of sin, of Earth. Key Word = DELIVERANCE.
3. In LEVITICUS He opens the Approach to a Holy God, Who is present with His people[1:3 before the Lord 60x in book]; Who demands holiness in His people [11:44; 19:2; 20:7]. Key Word = HOLINESS occurs 93x in the book.
4. In NUMBERS He is the Faithful One Dealing with His Unfaithful People. Key Word = CHASTENING
5. In DEUTERONOMY He is Seeking Loyalty from His chosen people as their PROMISE KEEPER. Key Word = COVENANT which occurs 27x.
6. In JOSHUA He is Commander of the Lord’s Army, Leading His People in Conquest. Key Idea = OBEDIENCE.
7. In JUDGES He is Chastening His wayward people who follow seven specific sin-salvation cycles though this book. Key Idea = DISOBEDIENCE
8. In RUTH He is Kinsman to His needy people. Key Word = LOYALTY
9. In I SAMUEL – II CHRONICLES He is the Perfect King. IN Samuel God Seeks for a Man; In Kings God Sees All; in Chronicles God Saves, Preserves, Rewards His Own. Key Words = EYES OF THE LORD used 13x.
10. In EZRA He is our Peg in the Holy Place. Key Word = RETURNING
11. In NEHEMIAH He is our Sure Foundation. Key Word = RESTORING.
12. In ESTHER He is our Unseen Defender. Key Word = PROTECTING.
To continue reading this message on Finding Christ in the Books of History please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/finding-christ-in-the-books-of-history-/